Wednesday, November 11

How Bazaar...


After a delicious breakfast at the hotel (complete with any sort of cheese you could ever imagine, delicious fruit, omelets, cereals, and fresh honey) we began to conquer Istanbul. Although I do have to mention that I am a coffee drinker and my body is use to caffeine, after two cups my heart rate was so fast I thought I was going to start shaking. Note: Turkish coffee is strong. But my first official day, I can say I love Turkey. Despite the fact that just about nobody speaks English, and I saw about 5 women today, everyone is so nice, extremely helpful, and surprisingly proud. We went on a tour with other conference attendees to the Blue Mosque and the Hagia Sophia (pic on the right). It was raining this morning, but everyone was too psyched to care – yay American tourists. We had a really nice and funny tour guide, and Istanbul native named Bora, who was so helpful and knew everything about his city. The mosque was beautiful with intricate tile design (outside picture on the right). Everyone had to take their shoes off because it was a functioning worshipping place. I even had to switch into a different wheelchair – one that wasn’t wet or muddy from the rain that came this morning. (Inside the mosque on the left). We then walked across the street to the Hagia Sophia, which began as a mosque, then converted to a church, and now sits as a museum. It is one of the largest religious structures in the world, compared to St. Peter’s in Rome, among others. It was built in the 5th, 6th, and 7th centuries – which is absolutely unfathomable. There was one pillar which had a big hole in it, and if you rub your thumb in a circle inside of the hole, all of your wishes will come true. It is called the “Sweating Hole” though that shouldn’t turn you off because it is just the illusion of wet that the marble gives off. (Me and the hole on the right). After the tour everyone returned to the hotel, but mom and I decided to venture to the Grand Bazaar. It was so cool. There are over 4,000 little shops selling rugs, jewelry, Turkish goods, and scarves, among hundreds of other things. (Pic on the left). We were told to visit one vendor, Jimmy, who takes great care of our Delta flight attendant friends. The minute we mentioned Delta, he lit up and took great care of us. He walked us around to bag and scarf places, and gave us great deals on his own jewelry. He spoke wonderful English, and had a photo album of all his favorite Delta people, which we are now a part of. He also gave us some heads up about what we should NOT say in English because it means something repulsive in Turkish – like “um.” It was so nice to be taken care of as the Bazaar is very overwhelming. He bought us lunch and called his taxi guy to come pick us up. We returned to the hotel for showers and a quick bite of baklava, (delish tower to the right) and then tonight we have an opening reception that sort of kicks off the conference. Everyone I have met so far is so nice and helpful. The city is extremely inaccessible, the “accessible” vans we have driven aren’t even realistic for anyone in a wheelchair, but if it takes twelve stairs to see one of the oldest mosques in the history of world, it takes twelve stairs. I am having such a wonderful time, but I have to start practicing for my presentation tomorrow! I’m not as much nervous as I am excited. This whole trip is flying by, and I’m just excited to start meeting people who are interested in hearing about my abroad experience. So I’m out for now, but more to come tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Emma, You continue to amaze me as you did when you were at YHS. I have had such an enlightening experience following your journeys abroad and in NYC. Your dedication, perseverance and positive attitude allow me to not worry about the "small stuff." I miss you and can't wait to give you a hug when you graduate from Bowdoin College this spring, just like I did in 2006 when you graduated from YHS. You exemplify the saying "You go girl!" Mrs. Doane

    ReplyDelete