Tuesday, November 10

Irony in Istanbul

It’s been a while since I have written, but now my travel blog continues! My mom and I are traveling to Istanbul, Turkey, as I have been asked to attend the 2009 CIEE Conference to share my experiences on a panel, as a disabled student on a CIEE program. I will be presenting with my Resident Director, Daniel, from Rennes, and another woman named Cerise, who works for Mobility International USA (MIUSA), a company that helps people with limited mobility travel and study abroad. I’m so honored to be a part of this because CIEE could not have been more helpful when I studied abroad. A large part of the reason I had such an incredible time was because of their staff. The conference will be from Wednesday through Saturday, November 11-14, and my panel is on Thursday afternoon, titled “Local Strategies for Including Students with Disabilities on Study Abroad Programs.”

So my mom and I drove down to Boston Sunday afternoon, in preparation for our flight to Istanbul, with a connection in Zurich. We found great rates on Swiss Air, and I couldn’t believe I could wake up one morning and say “I’m going to TURKEY today.” We checked in and approached the gate 45 minutes or so before boarding time. We were then informed that, even though my mom had called Swiss Air well ahead of time, there was no record of my wheelchair, and therefore there had been no accommodations for a on board wheelchair (to use for the bathroom etc.) and we had not had medical clearance, and we were therefore not permitted to board. Interesting … here are a few things to keep in mind:
1. I have flown internationally and domestically, a lot, and I have never, ever, been denied boarding, or asked to provide medical clearance before a flight
2. I have never heard of there NOT being a wheelchair on board for international flights.
3. The man who helped us was completely unhelpful, and in my own personal opinion, was less than accommodating and actually rude.

So long story short … we were put up in the Hilton Hotel at the airport last night (Monday ... what's today?), including dinner and breakfast, and we are flying Air France to Istanbul this afternoon (Monday) at 4. We will arrive in Istanbul around 2pm their time (8 am or so our time). We will be a full day late and unfortunately miss out on some opportunities we had planned for Tuesday. But looking at this as a glass half full, we get to fly through Paris! And while it is only the airport, IT’S PARIS! We are also going to Istanbul! How can I complain when I have this incredible opportunity? We will arrive in Istanbul with enough time to shower, and then explore the city. I’m looking forward to warm(er) weather, Turkish tea, and a mini vacation. But as my friend Taylor put it, it is ironic that I’m going to speak at a conference about integrating more students with disabilities on to Study Abroad programs and international travel, and I can’t even get there?! Very interesting.

That is all for now, I will keep you all updated with photos and stories these next couple of days – so stay tuned!

Love,
Emma

1 comment:

  1. Dear Emma,
    Thank you for your blog. It is always good to get feedback. I am coordinator for disability support at the Middle East Technical University in Ankara. I also moderate the e-forum which currently has 240 members, working at over 70 Turkish universities - all aiming to improve conditions and accommodations for students with disabilities.

    I would like to hear how we could get out useful information for travelers with disabilities planning to come to Turkey: produce it and disseminate it. What networking would allow people to get the information they want in advance - so you would be prepared for the environment, and perhaps much more importantly contact people who can assist. I know exactly which wheelchair user I'd have put you in contact with, and he would have arranged not just great hospitality but meetings with others who would have liked to have met you. I am now arranging a similar pairing for a visually impaired colleague; in the past we organised a Deaf volunteer to guide a group of Deaf Americans on their cruise's one-day Istanbul stop.

    How can we organise this networking, not just for Turkey, for anywhere interested? As well as contacting CIEE, what other organisations could be contacted?

    You can contact me through www.engelsiz.metu.edu.tr or www.tiu.org.tr

    Claire Ozel

    ReplyDelete