Thursday, April 7

Officially Spring


The weather here has been so incredible and it truly feeling like Spring in Rennes ... almost summer! I am attempting to 'profiter' from my last two months here. March and April have been so busy, in the best way possible. I have been taking on extra hours helping teachers with their own work, giving oral exams for the bac (the exam you need to pass in order to finish lycée) and helping students with their science projects which they are attempting to do in English. In addition to school, I was SO lucky to have one of my BFF's from Bowdoin visit me and we had a Bowdoin reunion ... in PARIS. It was so surreal to see my friends walking around Paris, seeing the Eiffel Tower, and taking naps in the Tuileries Gardens. I feel like I have been so lucky lately that I am in complete denial of leaving. I have lots of pictures and updates so bear with me!


Nice weather brings delicious picnics ... 

Flowers blossoming at school

Spring in Rennes!
A couple weeks ago, before Margie visited, the weather had been spectacular, so my colleague and I went horseback riding about 15/20 minutes outside of Rennes. It started a little rainy in the morning, but after our two hour walk, the sun was shining and it had been the best afternoon. Even though it is only my second time, I love my horse Mélo (short for mélodie aka Melody). She is so beautiful and so easy to ride. After a very long, but beautiful day, I rushed home to shower then back out to the train station to meet Margie. It was SO incredible to see her and it felt like a dream that she was just getting off a train in Rennes and making dinner in my apartment.


Mélo!
We spent Monday and Tuesday walking around Rennes, eating at my favorite restaurants and just catching up. Monday was my friend Fabienne's birthday (she is the Germany assistant at Lycée Chateaubriand) so we had a big dinner for her. Margie was a trooper and came along, despite not knowing a word in French. The countries that were represented were: France, Spain, Russia, Italy, Germany, and of course the USA. It was quite the mix of language and conversation, but I couldn't have been happier to have Margie meet all of them!

International raclette dinner
Yula (middle) is a film professor at school, and she brought her
baby, Milo with her to dinner. Raquel (right) is the Spanish assistant
and was attempting to get Milo to understand a Spanish lullaby 
From left to right ... Elsa (Russia), Marisa (Italy), Fabienne (Germany),
Margie!, me, and Raquel (Spain)

Wednesday, even though it rained, we made the trek to Saint Malo for the afternoon after my class and had 'moules frites' and enjoyed the ocean despite the rain!

Our apartment

Reunited!!
Thursday morning we left early for Paris and had the day to ourselves before Sarah came to join us. We went to the Pompidou which was great because I had never been and I really enjoyed it - it is such a cool museum and I really want to go back and spend some more time there. Thursday night Sarah joined us and we spent the night in a hostel. Friday and Saturday were THE best. Friday we slept in a bit and went to a garden in the Latin quarter to wait for Allie and Abbie to arrive. It was so nice to be reunited and so crazy to just be chillin' in Paris with friends from school who I hadn't seen in MONTHS. We rented an apartment on Rue de Rosiers in the Jewish Quarter and after checking in the afternoon, we unloaded, went grocery shopping and Margie made incredible pasta, along with bread, cheese and wine, of course. It was so comfortable and easy, it almost felt like we were back in Brunswick N (Abbie and Sarah's old apartment at Bowdoin) making dinner on a random Friday night. Saturday we were so lucky with the weather - it was like 70 degrees and even though we were a bit 'tired' we rallied and took a bus to the Eiffel Tower.

Cheers to Bowdoin!
perfect dinner.

We walked back along the Seine and made a couple pit stops at La Durée and a place to grab sandwiches. We finally ended up in the Jardins de Tuileries, in front of the Louvre. We lounged on the grass among other Frenchies for a couple of hours before saying goodbye to Allie. On our walk back the the apartment, we indulged in Berthillon ice cream - their 'caramel beurre salé' or salted butter caramel is THE best ice cream. Saturday night was very low-key more pasta making and we all attempted to get some sleep and prepare for goodbyes the next day.

Bagels in the Jewish quarter ... how can you not?
Bowdoin at Hotel de Ville
JUMP! For my love ...
Berthillon ice cream break on the Seine
Margie left in the morning and it was so weird to see everyone start to depart one by one, but Sarah, Abs and I took advantage of our rainy Sunday in Paris, getting Pierre Hermé macaroons, and going to l'As du Falafal for lunch - which seriously NEVER disappoints and is worth the wait. Sarah and I took the train home, she dropped me off in Rennes and continued on to Brest and I got home in time to shower, have some dinner, and have some time to myself (let's be honest, I caught up on the reality TV I hadn't watched all week ...) All in all it was SUCH a great trip and I feel like we did SO much in only 3 short days.

View from the Pompidou 
Miss Chanel herself
Back in Rennes the weather has continued to deliver sun, so in between school and extra hours I have been working, I have absolutely been enjoying the sun (and may or may not be burnt already ...). I have been seeing my friend Margaret a lot which is so fun - Margaret went to Yarmouth and is studying abroad as a junior this semester here in Rennes. She and I have been doing weekly dinners and last night we satisfied our mexican craving AND celebrated her 21st birthday! This weekend I am going to the coast on Saturday with two of my colleagues from the hospital school I work at on Mondays, and Sunday I am going BACK to Paris with Margaret, to see my friend Julia (Huckins girl!) run in the Paris marathon!! I'm SO lucky and so proud of her I cannot wait to see the whole thing. So stay posted for Parisian adventures.

And in case you are looking to go to Paris and want some (accessible) chic hints check this out! http://girlsguidetoparis.com/archives/%E2%80%A8weekend-on-wheels-in-paris/

à toute à l'heure!

No comments:

Post a Comment