Sunday, November 20

sunday afternoon.

Time for another update. I wish I had more pictures for this post, but I'm sure that Thanksgiving will provide plenty food pics so just a few will have to suffice this time! Ever since our October vacation, things have been really busy. I'm working a lot, tutoring a lot, and keeping very busy throughout the week. This usually means that Friday night I zombie out and watch bad reality TV I've wanted to catch up on, Saturday I sleep in and hit up the market, and Sunday is usually a wash.

But I have been very productive this weekend...meaning I was social and planned what is going to be another amazing ex-pat Thanksgiving. In addition to going to the market, going to IKEA, and doing what has become my only form of exercise here (dancing), I went to my dear friend Lisa's farm about half an hour outside of Rennes. Lisa is the owner of Apple Pie - the restaurant I talk constantly about - and she invited my friend Caely and me to spend the afternoon with her and her family. Last weekend I went to a colleague's house for lunch and after champagne and wine and a delicious chicken dish and tarte tatin, I decided it is so nice to spend Sunday with French families.

Our afternoon with Lisa was so lovely. Her husband is a baker and was nice enough to let us poke around his bakery ... it is very cool as everything around them is homemade, organic, recycled and wonderful. We had tea and cakes (gingerbread!) in the afternoon with her family including her sons and talked for hours about food and family and being a foreigner. We went for a walk, and Lisa and her family acquired an adorable female kitten from the neighbor. It was relaxing and I think I drank enough coffee and fresh apple juice to last me the rest of the semester. Sunday afternoon is something the French definitely know how to do ...

inside the baker's workshop.

custom oven making between 50-60 loaves a day.


i almost forgot to show you Apple Pie was featured
in french Elle ... la class.


1 comment:

  1. Apple Pie restaurant sounds great. My son lives in Rennes, and is due a visit soon. I can't quite see the address on the magazine article can you tell us the address please. I shall say that I heard from you how great it is !!!

    ReplyDelete