Monday, January 31

Grandma Fern Visits!

I just had an absolutely wonderful visit with my grandmother from New York! We spent about 3 days and 4 night visiting Rennes and feasting. Before she came on Friday evening, I was talking to one of my colleagues and told her my grandmother was coming to visit, her first question was "Oh how exciting! What are you going to eat?!" Hopefully that gives you some indication of what we do here in Rennes ...

Opera House in Rennes
We did so much while in Rennes and really lucked out on the weather. Friday night, we had traditional galettes and crepes, along with some homemade Breton cider. She was jet lagged and I was exhausted from teaching all day we both passed out pretty early. Saturday we walked all around the market, got lunch, and continued to walk around Rennes, showing her the cathedral, museum, major streets in the centre ville, and the Parliament building. We ran into all my friend around Rennes which gave the impression I know everyone in Rennes; when in fact I know about six people and all six just happened to be out and about at the same time. We went on a tour of the Parliament building with my friend Caely Saturday afternoon. I had been before, in fact, the first weekend with my host mom probably the same weekend, two years ago. I was amazed at how much I actually learned this time around because a. I can actually speak French now, and b. I wasn't completely overwhelmed and exhausted from culture shock, jet lag and my first weekend in Rennes. The woman who gave the tour was really wonderful, she didn't over explain anything or go into too much detail - it was really nice.

Saturday night we went to a very nice restaurant and had a beautifully presented dinner: I had scallops so I couldn't have been happier! Sunday she came to see my apartment and I made us brunch. Coincidentally my host mom stopped by to say hello, so she was able to meet her which was nice. Sunday afternoon we got dressed up for the opera. The opera house is beautiful from the outside, and so elegant yet quaint on the inside. We sat in a little box and watched a production of Debussy's "Pelléas and Mélisande," which was beautiful and not too over the top. I had never seen a full opera there and I was very impressed and everyone was extremely talented (not to mention as a sidenote: the man who played Pelléas was from Missouri - America represent!). Sunday evening we had a low key steak dinner (which for some reason I have been craving for weeks now) and went to bed on the earlier side. This morning we walked up and down the quiet streets again, this time popping into explore the cathedral. It has been relatively warm and sunny here, but today was definitely one of the coldest days we have had - but with sun nonetheless! We warmed up with some soup for an early lunch, before I had to go to class and before she was en route to her next adventure ...

We laughed this afternoon because we didn't take any photos! I guess I never think of it because I live here. I will update with some more pictures later this week ...

Last week, I went to the movies twice: Sunday afternoon I saw "Another Year" by Mike Leigh, and Monday afternoon I saw "Les Emotifs Anonymes." "Another Year" was really well done, very much a "slice of life" as my friend Georgia called it. Jim Broadbent, Ruth Sheen, and Lesley Manville were incredible. The movie was a bit long, but the actors make the movie completely worth it. I saw that it is up for an Oscar - so finger's crossed! My classes were cancelled on Monday so I went to see "Les Emotifs Anonymes" by myself (which is the first time I have done that and will NOT be the last ... who knew going to the movies on your own was so fun?). Anyways, it was about a man who makes/sells chocolates, but is very socially and romantically awkward, and his new employee, who is equally as awkward, but they are SO adorable and fall for each other it is the sweetest story - and perfectly light for a Monday afternoon. If it ever comes to the states I recommend it.

Last week I did a lesson on Romeo and Juliet and continued gun control in addition to starting to tutor a girl at school who was born in Scotland so she is fluent in English and quite bored in class so I offered to chat with her once a week. She and I get along really well and she is super bright so it will be nice to continue that this week. I'm preparing myself for another busy week, but getting very excited because Sarah is coming on Thursday and we are off to Strasbourg for the weekend on Friday morning!

More to come soon so restez avec moi! (stay tuned ...)

No comments:

Post a Comment